Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Something written...

It's been awhile since I've written here. Priorities shift and certain things gain in importance while others get put off for another day. Clearly my musings on paper are on that list, but not near the top.

I'm in Starbucks with a Large green ginger tea. Of course it arrives without a lid and I don't come here enough to automatically know which lid goes with which. So with a task before me I head to the lid rack and scan the names. Grande/Venti, Tall, Short. None say Large. And there's an audience observing me. Sure they know the right lid size and are waiting for my erroneous choice to be made. The pressure mounts. I remember the one time I fumbled with various lids and none fit, a few came out at once, and then I had to throw away all of the ones I'd touched because I'd touched them and being foodsafe whipped I felt I'd "dirtied" them. Of course I also felt wasteful for throwing the extra lids out. Of course I just feel wasteful drinking product from there in disposable containers when I can drink mate from my guampa for less cost, with less waste. I digress. As usual.

So I quickly scan the options before me and deftly grasp a Grande/Venti lid betwixt my thumb and index finger. I manage to disengage the lid from its partners with little fuss and, to my relief, it settles comfortably upon the circular lip of my ginger green tea containing cup with my firmly applied pressure.

Smoothly I maneuver my way back to my hard, ass numbing, brown chair with gluteal ergonomic design. I await some co-students to arrive for Sunday's study session. A blue plastic bag at my feet contains plastic versions of a human clavicular, humeral, scapular, radial, and ulnar bones. As well as a plastic model hand held together with wires. I upend the bag on top the table. The bones lay scattered around the table top. Long bones. Flat bones. Short bones. Grande/Venti, tall, short, in a slightly different scenario. Many similarities, for they are all bones, but I must learn, record, and remember the distinctions; the differences. Which side is anterior? Which posterior? Is it a left or a right bone? To this structural framework we add the tendons and joints that connect the bones. So I need to visualize the bones and put them together. Then I need to view, recall, and pronounce the names of the unique and individual ligaments and joints. To this we add the musculature. Not just "name the muscle", but where does it originate (start) and insert (attach) as well as what actions (primary and secondary) does it take part in? Example? Biceps brachii is a primary muscle involved in flexion of the fore arm at the elbow. Or of the antebrachium at the antecubital joint.

MSAK lecture was last week. That's the knowledge base in a certain way. Wednesday (tomorrow) is the exam for MSAK Lab. MSAK Lab is like Lecture, but more hands on. For it is in this class that we learn to palpate the various bony landmarks, origins, and insertions. It is here we apply resistance to limbs to locate muscles and other tissues. And it is this knowledge, for this test, that I should be reinforcing right now, rather than composing, and then typing this into the computer.

So adios. Time to get back to the studying.. of course.. the Canucks do play Edmonton tonight........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have never spent dime 1 in a Starbucks....

Ian